Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax is asking me to upgrade my return saying that i paid excess social security taxes. I have had my W2's checked and I did not pay any extra. And can you fix it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Turbotax is asking me to upgrade my return saying that i paid excess social security taxes. I have had my W2's checked and I did not pay any extra. And can you fix it?

What is the amount you entered from box 3 on the W-2 and the amount that is in box 4 of the W-2?

Are you married?  If you had more than 1 employer and paid more than $9,932.40 in Social Security tax (box 4) combined you get the excess back on your tax return. If you are married it is for each spouse separately. Be sure each W2 is assigned to the right spouse.

Get a calculator and check each W2 box 3&4. Multiply box 3 x .062 and it should be box 4. The max for all box 4 combined (but only for each person) is $9,932.40.   Even one penny over from rounding will be excess. So leave off the cents! Or post back with the amounts in boxes 3&4.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies