Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Barb1966

Turbo Tax keeps saying that the Payer's zip code on my 1099-R is invalid, but it's correct. What do I do?

I can't seem to get past that part. I've checked in more than one place to ensure that the zip code is correct.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
SamS1
Expert Alumni

Turbo Tax keeps saying that the Payer's zip code on my 1099-R is invalid, but it's correct. What do I do?

if you imported it, delete it and enter it manually.  You can do this by going to the Review your 1099R Info screen and clicking on the trash can next the 1099R you are having trouble with.

Then re-enter the 1099R:

1. Select Add another 1099R at the bottom of the screen.
  2. Continue to the financial institutions screen and select "Change how I enter my form"
  3. Select "Type it myself"

Manually enter the information from the 1099R.  Make sure the amounts the 1099R entered are correct in TurboTax.

The form1099R represents amounts received from not only retirement accounts but from insurance contract and annuities also.  The information entered is matched by the IRS to what was reported on the 1099R.

Barb1966

Actually this 1099-R was entered manually because it wasn't yet available to be imported. Maybe I'll delete it and import it since it's available now. Hopefully that will work. 

Thanks.

SamS1
Expert Alumni

If that fails, you might want to do a zip code lookup for the city or town and try a different zip code from the USPS tables. 

Be sure that you did not accidentally check the box that this is a foreign address.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Be sure the city and state are correct.   For example, Arizona is AZ (not AR).

lcongero

Form was uploaded directly & zip code is correct. This error is preventing me from filing my return.

Be sure the two letter state abbreviation is correct.  For example, Arizona is AZ (not AR).

Or delete the 1099-R and enter it manually.

jeffah

i just got stuck on a similar issue: i  did not notice that i had entered KS for the state for a city = Kansas City instead of MO.  TT was smart enough to know that the ZIP i had entered did not match Kansas City, KS, but not smart enough to give me an error message that encouraged me to double-check the city & state as some previous replies in this topic did.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies