Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT asks what my Traditional IRA total (balance in all accounts) is. What about HSA 5498SA

I have no activity in my HSA for years. IN OR OUT

My Question:

is the 5498 SA total on the HSA fair market value Dec 31 2021 supposed to be included in my

IRA Traditional total $. (within Turbo Tax)

Does that total information get sent on to IRS via Turbo Tax in addition to the 5498's of all kinds?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BillM223
Expert Alumni

TT asks what my Traditional IRA total (balance in all accounts) is. What about HSA 5498SA

Please don't mix the HSA and the IRA. While they have some similarities, their numbers don't mix.

"TT asks what my Traditional IRA total (balance in all accounts) is."

This question is asked of both, however, but ONLY when there is a carryover penalty from excess contributions (there may be another case, but carryover of excess contributions is the most common). TurboTax asks this because (at least for the HSA, but I think the IRA is the same way) your penalty for the carryover is 6% of the smaller of either the amount of the carryover OR the balance in your account. So, if the balance is zero, then the penalty is zero, because 6% of zero is zero.

Otherwise, the IRS does not care about the balance in either your IRA or your HSA. So don't worry about this. Most years, neither balance is sent to the IRS (on your tax return anyway - no telling about what reports the HSA custodian or IRA administrator might file with the IRS).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Please don't mix the HSA and the IRA. While they have some similarities, their numbers don't mix.

"TT asks what my Traditional IRA total (balance in all accounts) is."

This question is asked of both, however, but ONLY when there is a carryover penalty from excess contributions (there may be another case, but carryover of excess contributions is the most common). TurboTax asks this because (at least for the HSA, but I think the IRA is the same way) your penalty for the carryover is 6% of the smaller of either the amount of the carryover OR the balance in your account. So, if the balance is zero, then the penalty is zero, because 6% of zero is zero.

Otherwise, the IRS does not care about the balance in either your IRA or your HSA. So don't worry about this. Most years, neither balance is sent to the IRS (on your tax return anyway - no telling about what reports the HSA custodian or IRA administrator might file with the IRS).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you Bill! Just e filed and feel like with that question answered I did 100% good job!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies