In 2018 I want to have zero contribution towards my self-employment retirement. How do I get rid of the number showing (originally I wanted to maximize my contribution)?

I have tried using the “Update” button for this row, but I cannot get the result to show zero.

Try revisiting the section where the self-employed retirement contributions are entered and uncheck the box showing that you want to maximize your contributions.  On that same screen, be sure that all the contribution amounts are deleted by using your cursor and the backspace button to empty the field. 

Use the search term "self-employed retirement" to jump directly to that section of your return.