turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

(Trust) Made equal distribution to all beneficiaries. It was the final distribution.Can I allocate the "Required" amount not equally among the beneficiaries?

It's the final distribution / final return for a complex trust. The amount distributed includes income that was a result of capital gains. 

The trust document has the following clause, which I think might be relevant to my question:

"Adjust for Tax Consequences. The Trustee may take any action and to make any election to minimize the tax liabilities of the trust and its beneficiaries. The Trustee shall have the power to allocate the benefits among the various beneficiaries and shall have the power to make adjustments in the rights of any beneficiaries, or between the income and principal accounts, to compensate for the consequences of any tax election or any investment or administrative decision that the Trustee believes has had the effect of directly or indirectly preferring one beneficiary or group of beneficiaries over others. In making such adjustments, the Trustee may ignore or adjust for different tax bases of assets distributed to beneficiaries."

My question: even though I distributed equally among all beneficiaries, can I say that certain beneficiaries received more of the income portion (e.g., more of the capital gains) and less of the principal portion? If yes, this can significantly reduce the tax liability of the beneficiaries in higher tax brackets. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

(Trust) Made equal distribution to all beneficiaries. It was the final distribution.Can I allocate the "Required" amount not equally among the beneficiaries?

"... can I say that certain beneficiaries received more of the income portion..."

The short answer is "No" (explanation follows).

You can allocate different classes of income to different beneficiaries only if a specific allocation is required in the trust instrument and, even then, only if the allocation has an economic effect independent of the income tax consequences of the allocation. IRC §1.652(b)-2(b)

Importantly, allocation pursuant to a trust provision granting the trustee discretion to allocate different classes of income to different beneficiaries is not a specific allocation. See IRC §1.652(b)-2(b)(1)

View solution in original post

1 Reply

"... can I say that certain beneficiaries received more of the income portion..."

The short answer is "No" (explanation follows).

You can allocate different classes of income to different beneficiaries only if a specific allocation is required in the trust instrument and, even then, only if the allocation has an economic effect independent of the income tax consequences of the allocation. IRC §1.652(b)-2(b)

Importantly, allocation pursuant to a trust provision granting the trustee discretion to allocate different classes of income to different beneficiaries is not a specific allocation. See IRC §1.652(b)-2(b)(1)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies