turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Thrift Savings Plan

I have 2 1099R from Thrift Savings Plan. 1 is a Tradition TSP and other one is a Tradition Roth Plan. But i do know if a regular Roth IRA.  How can I tell

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Thrift Savings Plan

You should be able to identify each TSP from the distribution Code in Box 7 (Distributions from Regular (Traditional) TSPs and Roth TSPs use different codes).

A Regular (Traditional) TSP won't have a unique code - these accounts use the same codes as 401ks and traditional IRAs.  If the account is a Roth account, the distribution code will include "Roth" in the description. 

See the attached screenshot for a list of distribution codes:

dmertz
Level 15

Thrift Savings Plan

The federal TSP is not any kind of IRA.

Thrift Savings Plan

There are two different types of Thrift Savings Plan . One is a Traditional and the one is a Roth plan. How do I enter it , I am withdrawing from both. 

Thrift Savings Plan

1 of the 1099R has a code 2b in line 7. So this a Roth plan?

dmertz
Level 15

Thrift Savings Plan

Codes 2 and B together indicate a distribution from the designated Roth account in the TSP, not a distribution from a Roth IRA.

TurboTax unnecessarily asks if this distribution is from a Roth IRA even though the code B in box 7 unambiguously indicates that it is not a distribution from a Roth IRA.  This question is nothing more than a trap for the unwary and has caused nothing but problems since answering that the distribution is from a Roth IRA will cause TurboTax to later tell you that you've made an entry error without providing any useful information as to the nature of the error.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies