Thrift Savings Plan

Thrift Savings Plan

I have 2 1099R from Thrift Savings Plan. 1 is a Tradition TSP and other one is a Tradition Roth Plan. But i do know if a regular Roth IRA.  How can I tell

Thrift Savings Plan

You should be able to identify each TSP from the distribution Code in Box 7 (Distributions from Regular (Traditional) TSPs and Roth TSPs use different codes).

A Regular (Traditional) TSP won't have a unique code - these accounts use the same codes as 401ks and traditional IRAs.  If the account is a Roth account, the distribution code will include "Roth" in the description. 

See the attached screenshot for a list of distribution codes:

Thrift Savings Plan

The federal TSP is not any kind of IRA.

Thrift Savings Plan

There are two different types of Thrift Savings Plan . One is a Traditional and the one is a Roth plan. How do I enter it , I am withdrawing from both. 

Thrift Savings Plan

1 of the 1099R has a code 2b in line 7. So this a Roth plan?

Thrift Savings Plan

Codes 2 and B together indicate a distribution from the designated Roth account in the TSP, not a distribution from a Roth IRA.

TurboTax unnecessarily asks if this distribution is from a Roth IRA even though the code B in box 7 unambiguously indicates that it is not a distribution from a Roth IRA.  This question is nothing more than a trap for the unwary and has caused nothing but problems since answering that the distribution is from a Roth IRA will cause TurboTax to later tell you that you've made an entry error without providing any useful information as to the nature of the error.