mpg2719

This year I am filing as Married Filing Separately (MFS) and also converted a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA. I read that there might be restrictions? Is this true?

The past few years I've filed jointly with my wife and converted a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA, which is fairly straight forward (note: everything is post tax / not deductible.) But this year we are filing as Married Filing Separately and I thought that I read there are (or were?) restrictions on conversions. Is this the case? I am having trouble finding an answer on the IRS website. I understand that there are restrictions on the deductibility based on income limits, but all of my traditional IRA contributions were after tax and not deducted.

Can someone please help? Especially pointing to the section in the IRS documentation?

Thank you!
Hal_Al

Apparently there was rule change recently and you can now do it <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irahelp.com/slottreport/contributing-ira-when-you-are-married-filing-separately">https:/...>
Even under the old rule it only applied to people who lived with their spouse at any time during the year
dmertz

As Hal_Al said, there are no longer any restrictions on being eligible for performing Roth conversions.  The AGI limits were eliminated beginning with 2010.  You can perform Roth conversions whenever and as often as you like, regardless of you filing status.