Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

BruceR
Returning Member

Question about Massachusetts taxing of an IRA distribution from a Rollover-IRA account...

I have both a Traditional-IRA account and a Rollover-IRA account.

For the Trad-IRA, I know my MA previously-taxed basis.  I've never taken any distributions from this Trad-IRA.

The RollOver-IRA was created from a 401K rollover, so none of RO-IRA has ever been taxed by MA.  I've never taken any distributions from this RO-IRA.

So, for a distribution and Roth-conversion from my RO-IRA account, I'm assuming that MA taxes the entire RO-IRA distribution amount, correct?

What confuses me is that the MA Schedule X Line 2 worksheet doesn't differentiate where the Roth-conversion distribution comes from.  

And since the worksheet talks about "Total" contributions & distributions, should these totals be based on just the Trad-IRA, or the sum of my Trad-IRA & RO-IRA?

As an example, if my Trad-IRA basis is $20K, and I do a distribution/Roth-conversion of $5K from my RO-IRA, and this is my first distribution from either account, does MA expect to tax the $5K Roth conversion or not?

Do I only fill out the Schedule X Line 2 worksheet based on distributions from my Trad-IRA?

Or do I fill out the Schedule X Line 2 worksheet based on all my IRA accounts (both Traditional and Rollover)?

Thank you for any help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
BruceR
Returning Member

Question about Massachusetts taxing of an IRA distribution from a Rollover-IRA account...

@BruceR thank you- you caught that one before I saw it
If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies