Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

poockds

I have a Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) on my 1099-R form but it was sent to a charitable organization. How is this to be reported?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

I have a Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) on my 1099-R form but it was sent to a charitable organization. How is this to be reported?

There is no code for a 1099-R that indicates that a distribution was a non-taxable qualified charitable distribution.  In the series of questions after you enter your 1099-R TurboTax will ask if any of the distribution was transferred to charity.  Indicate Yes and enter the amount transferred.  TurboTax will exclude this amount from Form 1040 line 15b or Form 1040A line 11b and will place the letters "QCD" on the line.

You must also file Form 8606, Nondeductible IRAs, if:

• you made the qualified charitable distribution from a traditional IRA in which you had basis and received a distribution from the IRA during the same year, other than the qualified charitable distribution; or
  • the qualified charitable distribution was made from a Roth IRA.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

There is no code for a 1099-R that indicates that a distribution was a non-taxable qualified charitable distribution.  In the series of questions after you enter your 1099-R TurboTax will ask if any of the distribution was transferred to charity.  Indicate Yes and enter the amount transferred.  TurboTax will exclude this amount from Form 1040 line 15b or Form 1040A line 11b and will place the letters "QCD" on the line.

You must also file Form 8606, Nondeductible IRAs, if:

• you made the qualified charitable distribution from a traditional IRA in which you had basis and received a distribution from the IRA during the same year, other than the qualified charitable distribution; or
  • the qualified charitable distribution was made from a Roth IRA.

dmertz
Level 15

Note that a QCD cannot be made from basis in nondeductible contributions, so it will not appear on Form 8606.  The QCD comes entirely from the pre-tax money in the individual's traditional IRAs.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies