Solved: The VA rated me 60% disabled. I received a W2 from DFAS & a 1099-R from DFAS Mil Retirement. The program indicates I must pay tax on my full retirement. Is this accurate?

The VA rated me 60% disabled. I received a W2 from DFAS & a 1099-R from DFAS Mil Retirement. The program indicates I must pay tax on my full retirement. Is this accurate?

If you were awarded a 60% disability rating by the VA, you should be receiving monthly benefit checks (or Direct Deposits) from the VA. Those payments are not taxable and are not reported to either you or the IRS.

If you are also eligible for and receiving military retirement pay, it is taxable income and will be reported to you and the IRS on a Form 1099-R.

Your DFAS W-2 is just a W-2, taxable and reportable on your return.

Are you receiving monthly VA benefit checks?

yes