turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The VA rated me 60% disabled. I received a W2 from DFAS & a 1099-R from DFAS Mil Retirement. The program indicates I must pay tax on my full retirement. Is this accurate?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

The VA rated me 60% disabled. I received a W2 from DFAS & a 1099-R from DFAS Mil Retirement. The program indicates I must pay tax on my full retirement. Is this accurate?

If you were awarded a 60% disability rating by the VA, you should be receiving monthly benefit checks (or Direct Deposits) from the VA. Those payments are not taxable and are not reported to either you or the IRS.

If you are also eligible for and receiving military retirement pay, it is taxable income and will be reported to you and the IRS on a Form 1099-R.

Your DFAS W-2 is just a W-2, taxable and reportable on your return.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ToddL

Are you receiving monthly VA benefit checks?
armading

yes
ToddL

If you were awarded a 60% disability rating by the VA, you should be receiving monthly benefit checks (or Direct Deposits) from the VA. Those payments are not taxable and are not reported to either you or the IRS.

If you are also eligible for and receiving military retirement pay, it is taxable income and will be reported to you and the IRS on a Form 1099-R.

Your DFAS W-2 is just a W-2, taxable and reportable on your return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies