turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

joehaik1

I'm trying to submit my 1099r and I can't locate the Federal ID Number on the form. Would it go by a different name like "payer's TIN"?

On the details page of the 1099r it lists the payer's TIN as Taxpayer Identification Number.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

I'm trying to submit my 1099r and I can't locate the Federal ID Number on the form. Would it go by a different name like "payer's TIN"?

The box on Form 1099R that is labeled TIN is the payers Federal ID Number. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

The box on Form 1099R that is labeled TIN is the payers Federal ID Number. 

tclandi
Returning Member

On the 1099R form it has Payer's TIN.  I have used that as the Federal ID number and it was rejected.  What should  Used?

@tclandi wrote:

On the 1099R form it has Payer's TIN.  I have used that as the Federal ID number and it was rejected.  What should  Used?

The Payer's TIN is the Federal EIN.  It is 9 digits and in the format of 12-3456789.  You only enter the 9 digits and the program will supply the 'dash'.  If what you entered is correct and it is being rejected, the delete the Form 1099-R and re-enter manually.

I did enter the 1099-R manually and still got the rejection. So now what am I supposed to enter?

@MPURSLEY8 wrote:

I did enter the 1099-R manually and still got the rejection. So now what am I supposed to enter?

If you entered the payers EIN on the 1099-R and it rejects as an invalid EIN then contact the payer to see of they entered the wrong number.

1099-R EIN.jpg

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@macuser_22 

I thank you very much for the help; however, they only had their name and address in that box. I did get the info from google.

If your 1090-R was missing the EIN then contact the issuer for a replacement 1099-R.     A 1099-R is not valid without a EIN.   They are required by law to supply a valid 1099-R.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies