turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bvmbvm
Returning Member

I've had the same Roth IRA for years. Now, I see there's a tax on excess contributions. Is this because of the new regulations?

Is there a maximum amount one can contribute to one's Roth IRA? After I paid off a bill, I increased my monthly contribution. Now there is a .06% penalty for excess contributions.  Worksheet 2018 and Form 5329 do not fully explain.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had the same Roth IRA for years. Now, I see there's a tax on excess contributions. Is this because of the new regulations?

Yes, for tax year 2018 Roth IRA contributions are limited to $5,500. This limit is shared between your Roth IRA and any regular IRA you contributed to. There may be additional limitations depending on your modified adjusted gross income.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301930

bvmbvm
Returning Member

That's part of the problem. My total contributions were $4280, less than the $5500. I'm still being assessed the penalty.  And I'm older than 50.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your modified adjusted gross income may have come into play, further limiting the amount you were able to contribute this year. The IRS has a table detailing how this affects the amount you can contribute to a Roth IRA. <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/amount-of-roth-ira-contributions-that...>
bvmbvm
Returning Member

Thank you. That was very helpful, and it did explain my situation.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies