turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

turbojb

On 1040A, why does TT report total of IRA and Pension distributions on line 12 instead of showing IRA on line 11 and Pensions only on line 12 and how do I correct that?

I input IRA and Pension distributions individually but they were shown as a single sum on the Pension line (#12). What do I need to do to show them (properly) on the individual lines? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

On 1040A, why does TT report total of IRA and Pension distributions on line 12 instead of showing IRA on line 11 and Pensions only on line 12 and how do I correct that?

If your IRA distribution is appearing on Form 1040A line 12, it means that you overlooked marking the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box on TurboTax's 1099-R form.  Distributions from traditional IRA accounts will be reported on Form 1099-R with the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box marked.  Distributions from any other type of account will be reported on Forms 1099-R that do not have the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box marked.

Go back and edit the 1099-R form in TurboTax corresponding to the Form 1099-R that you received from the traditional IRA.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

If your IRA distribution is appearing on Form 1040A line 12, it means that you overlooked marking the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box on TurboTax's 1099-R form.  Distributions from traditional IRA accounts will be reported on Form 1099-R with the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box marked.  Distributions from any other type of account will be reported on Forms 1099-R that do not have the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box marked.

Go back and edit the 1099-R form in TurboTax corresponding to the Form 1099-R that you received from the traditional IRA.

turbojb

Thank you...that was my oversight - it is now correct
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies