Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Started soc sec then cancelled & paid it back after 2 paymnts rec'd. SSA-1099 box 5=none. Do I declare that I did receive income & net is 0, or enter nothing?

Turbotax asks the question: Did you receive Social Security or Railroad Retirement benefits in 2022?  Technically, I did but then withdrew and paid it all back.  How should I answer that question in Turbotax?  Will it cause any 'red flags' with the IRS screening if I received an SSA-1099 but don't enter it on my return even if the net amount was 'NONE'?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PattiF
Expert Alumni

Started soc sec then cancelled & paid it back after 2 paymnts rec'd. SSA-1099 box 5=none. Do I declare that I did receive income & net is 0, or enter nothing?

You should answer no to the question "Did you receive Social Security of Railroad Retirement benefits in 2022?" No red flags will be raised because there was no income reported on the SSA-1099.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

You should answer no to the question "Did you receive Social Security of Railroad Retirement benefits in 2022?" No red flags will be raised because there was no income reported on the SSA-1099.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you, I appreciate the help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies