Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Giblet22

ssi sell of home

After Hurricane Ida I sold my damaged home for LESS then $80.000.00, I'm on SSI that's the only income I receive. I was told I didn't have to report it now SSI wants to see the paperwork for the sell. Can I be cut off SSI 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

ssi sell of home

We would not be able to answer that question as it is not a tax question.  You will need to contact SSI for the answer.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

ssi sell of home

First----let's determine if you really are receiving SSI or if you get Social Security.  Many people use the term "SSI" when they are really referring to Social Security benefits.   If you get Social Security, you get a SSA1099 every year in January.  Did you get a SSA1099?    If you get SSI---Supplemental Security Income---then no tax document is sent to you.    

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS AND SSI?

https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-over-ussi.htm

If you get Social Security, then your monthly benefits are not going to be affected by the money from selling your house.  

If you get SSI, then, you do not have a tax question---- you do have a question for SSI.  There are indeed strict rules in effect for SSI pertaining to how much money you can have in a bank account, etc. and still receive monthly  SSI benefits.   We cannot advise you about that.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies