Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SSA-1099 O/A income

I received SSA-1099 O/A benefit statement for a payment made to me on behalf of my deceased mother's estate (my name and social security number). I know I could add this amount to my mom's final 1040, but do I  add the O/A amount to her regular SSA-1099 statement? TurboTax only allows me to enter one SSA-1099, not 2.  

Thank you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

SSA-1099 O/A income

No, this does not get added to your mother's return because it was paid after death even though it was paid on account of your mother.  

If you are the only beneficiary you can simply add this to your return. If you want to add it to the estate return first, then transfer to the beneficiaries you can use that option if it is required to be filed.  An estate return is not required unless there is $600 of taxable income received by the estate after death and before full disbursement of any income and/or assets.  A payment solely from social security benefits would not require a, Form 1041, estate return to be filed.

Please update here if you have more questions and we can help.  I send my sympathies.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

SSA-1099 O/A income

Thank you for this helpful response. This is the only taxable income received and thus may not be worth creating an estate tax form for $972. Although I'm not the sole beneficiary (I have a sibling), I'll just add it to my tax return. I appreciate your sympathy and assistance.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies