Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

brandyb23

Should the state I was living in while contracting be listed in Box 17 on 1099-MISC? The state listed is the one I moved to. Do I need to get the 1099 corrected?

I was working in California when I earned all the money from my contracting job. I moved to Montana 2 months afterwards, but Montana is what's listed on my 1099-MISC in Box 17.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

Should the state I was living in while contracting be listed in Box 17 on 1099-MISC? The state listed is the one I moved to. Do I need to get the 1099 corrected?

No, you do not need to get a corrected Form 1099-MISC.

The information in box 17 is for informational purposes and is not required to be reported on your tax return.

You were working in California so your income earned there has to be reported to California on California Form 540NR.

This link  Part-year resident and nonresident  is to the California  Franchise Tax Board and provides information on filing CA non-resident tax returns that you may find useful.

[Edited 03/10/2020 | 8:18 am PDT]

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

No, you do not need to get a corrected Form 1099-MISC.

The information in box 17 is for informational purposes and is not required to be reported on your tax return.

You were working in California so your income earned there has to be reported to California on California Form 540NR.

This link  Part-year resident and nonresident  is to the California  Franchise Tax Board and provides information on filing CA non-resident tax returns that you may find useful.

[Edited 03/10/2020 | 8:18 am PDT]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies