Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hyanisjr

Should I accept what I just got in the mail a hardcopy check from the U.S. Department of The Treasury Bureau of The Fiscal Service for $77 (dated 04/24/24).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Should I accept what I just got in the mail a hardcopy check from the U.S. Department of The Treasury Bureau of The Fiscal Service for $77 (dated 04/24/24).

Why would you not "accept" a check from the U.S. Treasury?   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
hyanisjr

Because after Turbotax did my taxes I owed (and paid) the Federal $46 and I owed (and paid) the State $31 so that total is $77, which is the same amount as the check I received. This makes me think that maybe they sent me this check in error, which is why I asked this question. I don't want to cash a check sent to me by the IRS in error and then have to pay it back with penalties and interests months later. So I am asking the Turbotax community how can I make sure and be certain this refund is legit and that I can safely cash it.

TurboTax gets no information from the IRS after you file your tax return.  If you are unsure of why the check was sent to you, call the IRS.  And/or check your online account with the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

To  call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
dmertz
Level 15

"Because after Turbotax did my taxes I owed (and paid) the Federal $46 and I owed (and paid) the State $31 so that total is $77, which is the same amount as the check I received."

That's a coincidence.  The IRS has no idea how much you owed and paid separately to the state.  (But see VolvoGirl's post below about the possibility that you paid the $46 to the IRS twice and also mistakenly paying the $31 to the IRS instead of to the state.  That would result in an extra $77 having been paid to the IRS while also possibly failing to pay the balance due to the state.)

The explanation letter that the IRS issues when they adjust you tax liability generally comes after the check arrives.

Also, check to see if your federal tax return showed an underpayment penalty being included in the amount that you owe.  The IRS often calculates penalties differently than does TurboTax based on the timing of the payments received by the IRS.

How did you pay the federal 46 and state 31?  There was another post that it turned out the  person sent a state estimated payment to the IRS instead of the state.  So they got a check back from the IRS. Check your bank account and see if there is another payment to the IRS for the $46.  Could you have sent in checks and the IRS also debited your bank account?  I would make sure the state got paid their $31.  You may be getting a bill from the state.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies