turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jaemaz

SEP IRA Contribution limits for multiple income streams

I have a single-member LLC (sole proprietor) for which I have a SEP IRA. I also am a part owner in a different business  (corporation) where I take profits. Last year my net income from the LLC was $1000, and the then netted $129k from the other business. My question is whether my SEP contribution limits apply to my total net, or just the 1000 I made specifically from the single-member LLC.

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

SEP IRA Contribution limits for multiple income streams

SEP contributions are employer contributions.  Unless the single-member LLC and the corporation are a controlled group that must be treated as a single employer, these are separate employers and must have separate SEP plans.  Income that you receive from the corporation cannot be combined with the net income from your single-member LLC to make a contribution to the SEP plan that covers only your single-member LLC.  However, although probably uncommon, separate companies can make the SEP contributions with respect to a particular individual under the separate plans of each of these companies to the same SEP IRA account of that individual since it's the individual who owns the account.

If the details of the ownership dictate that these two companies are a controlled group, such as would be the case if you owned more than 50% of the corporation (including shares owned by family members that must be included due to attribution rules), the single SEP plan must cover all employees and shareholders of both the single-member LLC and the corporation.  Any SEP contribution made under a SEP plan must be the same percentage-of-income contribution (up the the maximum income considered for this calculation) for all eligible employees and shareholders (of both companies) covered by the plan.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies