Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bigboybun
Returning Member

Roth IRA excess contribution from 2019

I contributed $6000 to a Roth IRA in 2019 but recently realized I was not eligible to make any contributions. I withdrew the contribution in Feb 2021. Do I need to report the withdrawal on my 2020 or 2021 tax return? How do I enter this in TurboTax? I understand I will have a 6% penalty for 2019 and 2020.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Enter the contribution into the 2019 IRA contribution interview on an amended 2019 tax return to produce a 5329 with the excess and a 6% 2019 penalty.

Do the same for 2020 and say the excess was not removed for another 2020 5329 with the 2020 6% penalty.

You will receive a 2021 1099-R to report the removal on yiur 2021 tax return next year.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
bigboybun
Returning Member

Thank you @macuser_22. Can I complete the amended tax returns using TurboTax if I did not file my 2019 and 2020 tax returns through TurboTax? 

@bigboybun wrote:

Thank you @macuser_22. Can I complete the amended tax returns using TurboTax if I did not file my 2019 and 2020 tax returns through TurboTax? 

Possible but not easy - you must purchase the software for those years and  duplicate the filed return exactally - errors and all.   Then print for filing so TurboTax things you paper filed.   Then you can amend.

2017-2019 software can be purchased here:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

2019 and earlier can only be amended with TurboTax using the CD/download version installed on a PC or Mac computer.

See this TurboTax FAQ for detailed amend instructions:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
bigboybun
Returning Member

Sorry I misspoke earlier. I did not use TurboTax for 2019, but have not filed for 2020 and plan to use TurboTax. Does that mean I only need an amended return for 2019? Where can I report the excess for 2020 since I haven't filed yet?

bigboybun
Returning Member

Hey @macuser_22, following up on my previous question.

For my 2020 return in TurboTax, under Federal Taxes -> Deductions & Credits -> Traditional & Roth IRA contribution, I entered $6000 in the field "Excess Roth IRA Contributions for Prior Years." When I preview Form 1040, schedule 2 line 6 has a value of $360.

Does that mean the 5329 was generated and I don't need to complete an amended return for 2020?

Thanks again for all the help.

@bigboybun wrote:

Hey @macuser_22, following up on my previous question.

For my 2020 return in TurboTax, under Federal Taxes -> Deductions & Credits -> Traditional & Roth IRA contribution, I entered $6000 in the field "Excess Roth IRA Contributions for Prior Years." When I preview Form 1040, schedule 2 line 6 has a value of $360.

Does that mean the 5329 was generated and I don't need to complete an amended return for 2020?

Thanks again for all the help.

$360 would be 6% of the $6000 excess so it appears that you already entered it for 2020 of further action not necessary.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies