Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Roth contributions

I am contributing to a university sponsored Roth IRA, I am allowed to contribute around $22,000 annually and not be penalized.

I called them to make sure about this.

I contributed around $9,800 in 2023 but when I enter that amount in the program it says I am being penalized for everything over $7,500.

What am I doing wrong?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Roth contributions

Why do you think you can contribute up to $22,000 annually to a Roth IRA?

Go to this IRS website for IRA contribution limits - https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-ira-contribution-li...

Roth contributions

Or are you contributing to a employer sponsored retirement plan which is a Roth 401(k)?

If that is what you are contributing to the amount of the contribution would be entered on your W-2 in box 12 with a code of AA

Roth contributions

Qualified workplace plans (401k, 403b, etc) are NOT IRAs.  They have different rules and are reported in different places in your tax return, even though they seem like they are similar.

Your workplace plan is probably a 403b.  It's reported on your W-2, only enter it there.  Don't enter additional IRA contributions unless you actually contributed to a private IRA you opened in your own name.  (IRA meaning "individual" -- workplace plans are not IRAs.)

Delete the Roth contributions. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies