Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

evans9726

Retirement rollover showing as income causing problems with tax bracket, showing we owe way more taxes than we are supposed to.

This has caused us to show being liable for a huge amount of tax, due to health insurance subsidy qualified for. I can find no where in the section to indicate it was rolled over and not received as income.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

Retirement rollover showing as income causing problems with tax bracket, showing we owe way more taxes than we are supposed to.

If the distribution code on your Form 1099-R does not indicate that the distribution was a direct rollover (institution to institution transfer), then you should be seeing some follow-up questions where you can indicate that the distribution was rolled into another retirement account.  

When you enter the 1099-R, there will be a series of follow-up questions to answer including “what you did with the money”.  This question is the first step to reporting that it was rolled into another retirement account. 

If you did not see the follow-up questions, go back to the 1099-R and edit the form.  Then click Continue until you have answered all the questions and you are back to the main Income page. 

You can search for '1099-r' in the box at the top of your TurboTax screen to jump directly to the 1099-R section of your return.

evans9726

The designation on the distribution form in box 7 is "G" - direct rollover and rollover contribution. The only question I see regarding the rollover is into a Roth, but this went into a traditional IRA account.  When I get to the 1099-R Entries page, it shows total withdrawals as the same as the amount put in. We did not withdraw the money; it went directly into the brokerage account. I did not see any follow-up questions including "what you did with the money". I'm not sure how to edit the form, unless it's not supposed to match the 1099-R, as I have entered it as it was designated.

It shows it being non-taxable, but the problem is, it is doing something with the Obamacare subsidies, and causing the return to show a huge tax incurred, because it is showing the distribution as income, and making it appear as if we had the distribution as income. It has something to do with how the subsidies are handled. I still have not figured it out.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies