Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

heychica

Retired at 50 as fed leo and now receive a pension. tt asks if i made after tax contributions. do they mean were any contributions to a roth while working?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Retired at 50 as fed leo and now receive a pension. tt asks if i made after tax contributions. do they mean were any contributions to a roth while working?

I assume that you are entering information concerning income that you received from your pre-tax retirement plan while working as a LEO (not a Roth IRA or Roth 401(k) plan).

It is possible depending on the plan to make post-tax contributions to the plan in addition to the more usual pre-tax contributions.

If you did this, you now have a "basis" (also sometimes called "cost") in the plan. 

When you receive distributions from the plan at retirement, then part of the distribution is a return of that "basis" and is not taxable, while the rest of the distribution is taxable.

If you don't recall making any post-tax contributions to your retirement plan, then enter zero or answer no. This will make the entire distribution taxable (as it should in this case). This is also the more common situation for most taxpayers.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

I assume that you are entering information concerning income that you received from your pre-tax retirement plan while working as a LEO (not a Roth IRA or Roth 401(k) plan).

It is possible depending on the plan to make post-tax contributions to the plan in addition to the more usual pre-tax contributions.

If you did this, you now have a "basis" (also sometimes called "cost") in the plan. 

When you receive distributions from the plan at retirement, then part of the distribution is a return of that "basis" and is not taxable, while the rest of the distribution is taxable.

If you don't recall making any post-tax contributions to your retirement plan, then enter zero or answer no. This will make the entire distribution taxable (as it should in this case). This is also the more common situation for most taxpayers.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies