turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Required Minimum Distribution

RMD for 2019 was not totally distributed in 2019 because of a Notary error. The final portion was distributed on January 2, 2020 and I received a 1099-R in that year.  In 2019, TurboTax prepared a form 5329 for me and included my Waiver explanation statement.  I have heard nothing from the IRS about it.  Since this distribution was an RMD, although not for 2020, do I need to somehow include an explanation with the 2020 return that this distribution applies to 2019 RMD requirement?  TurboTax is not preparing a form 5329 for me this year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

No, you do not have to include any explanation with your 2020 tax return, and you do not include Form 5329 in your 2020 return. Just enter the 1099-R. It doesn't really matter that it's for 2019. The explanation and the waiver were all taken care of on your 2019 tax return.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

No, you do not have to include any explanation with your 2020 tax return, and you do not include Form 5329 in your 2020 return. Just enter the 1099-R. It doesn't really matter that it's for 2019. The explanation and the waiver were all taken care of on your 2019 tax return.

You don’t have to file a form 5329. Just report the distribution. 

Thanks for the reply.  The responses go with what I was thinking and give me some much-appreciated confidence in this course of action.  Thanks so much!

Thanks for your answer.  This gives me a plan and some confidence in it.  Thanks again!

hwill2105

TurboTax say I owe a 4,042 tax for early withdrawal. what do i do to correct this?  

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Delete your 1099-R and re-enter it.   Do NOT indicate that the distribution was an RMD.  After you enter it, you will be asked if the distribution was covid-related.  If the distribution was covid related, TurboTax will remove the early withdrawal penalty and ask you if you would like to spread the tax over three years.  

Those who qualify as individuals directly impacted by the pandemic will be able to withdraw up to $100k from their retirement accounts without facing the 10% early withdrawal penalty.

You qualify if:

• You, your spouse, or your dependent are diagnosed with COVID-19
  • You experience adverse financial consequences as a result of being quarantined, furloughed, or laid off
  • You had work hours reduced to COVID-19
  • You’re unable to work due to child care closure or hour reduction

The distribution would be taxed over 2020, 2021, and 2022. You’ll have that time to pay back the funds you withdrew, without the amount impacting that year’s cap on contributions, and if you pay back the amount within that time, you’ll be able to claim a refund on those taxes.    @hwill2105

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies