Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SJK2
Returning Member

Rejected efile stating duplicate W2s.

My huband & I are both retired from the same company. Along with our 1099 from the company we also each get 2 W2's.  I've entered the 4 2 with his name and 2 with mine.  When I efile the return it keeps rejecting stating there are duplicate W2s.  What do I need to do to get past this error.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Why do you get 2 W-2s from the same employer?  That's improper by the employer, as far as I know. 

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Since you have more than one W-2 from the same employer, check to see if the employer sent you a 'corrected' W-2(W-2c).  If that is the case, then you need to enter it as a single W-2 using the original form and the corrected form together, making sure the corrected data has been entered.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
SJK2
Returning Member

One is for a phone reimbursement.  The other is for a medical reimbursement. These are part of our pension benefit package.  Should they be putting the 2 amounts on one W2 each year?

@SJK2 wrote:

One is for a phone reimbursement.  The other is for a medical reimbursement. These are part of our pension benefit package.  Should they be putting the 2 amounts on one W2 each year?

All compensation you are due from working should be on a single W-2.  If these benefits are considered reimbursement, the company needs to consolidate them and issue a single corrected W-2 (for each spouse, I guess).

If you have a 1099-R for a pension, that's separate.  But if you are getting a 1099-MISC or 1099-NEC for other benefit payments, that should also be on the W-2 in most cases, although there are a couple of exceptions I can think of. 

SJK2
Returning Member

They are not corrected W2s.  Since we worked and retired from the same employer we have the same retirement benefits.  We receive these W2s every year and when we filed by mail never had an issue.  I'm trying to efile this year and the returns keep rejecting stating the W2's are duplicates because there are 2 W2s for each of us and the amounts are the same.

@SJK2 wrote:

They are not corrected W2s.  Since we worked and retired from the same employer we have the same retirement benefits.  We receive these W2s every year and when we filed by mail never had an issue.  I'm trying to efile this year and the returns keep rejecting stating the W2's are duplicates because there are 2 W2s for each of us and the amounts are the same.

You can't e-file with 2 W-2s from the same employer.  That's an IRS limitation.  Your employer should only be issuing one W-2.  If you don't want to press the matter, you will have to file by mail again.  (A professional tax preparer may be able to e-file, because some of the limitations on e-filing that apply to consumer software don't apply to professional software.  But I don't know this for a fact.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies