turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jcarta

Recharacterization from Roth IRA to Traditional IRA after I filed 2017 taxes.

Hello. I filed my 2017 income taxes in Feb. 2018. After I filed, I realized that although my AGI was not over the maximum salary limit for Roth IRA contributions ($133K), it was high enough that I over-contribued to my Roth IRA in 2017 by $4016. I contacted Fidelity and they recharacterized the $4016 into a Traditional IRA. They told me I needed to file a Form 5329 and amend my tax return. I can't figure out in Turbo Tax where to do this. Has anyone had this happen to them? Can you advise where I need to file this Form 5329? Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Recharacterization from Roth IRA to Traditional IRA after I filed 2017 taxes.

After you have entered the information from your Form 1099-R reporting the recharacterization, you will see a series of follow-up questions until you get back to a 1099-R Summary Page.  Click Done or Continue to move on.  If an early distribution penalty has been calculated based on your entries, then you will be given the chance to enter information about any exceptions that apply to your situation.  This will add Form 5329 to your return. 

Please see below for information regarding amending your 2017 return.  You should wait until your original return has been processed and any payment or refund received.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6602873

Let me know if this does not answer your question.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies