Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joneslori975

Received an IRA

I already filed my 2016 taxes, but my ex-employer gave me an IRA check yesterday, which I deposited and did not cash out any part of. Do I need to amend my 2016 return?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KenH1

Received an IRA

It depends on when the distribution was made, not when the check was deposited.  In all likelihood, this was a 2017 distribution and would be reported next year.

If this was a 2016 distribution and you're just getting the check now, contact your employer's payroll or tax department to get a 2016 1099-R form, which should be reported on your taxes.  Then do this:

In TurboTax, enter your 1099-R just as it is issued.  When back at the summary screen, TurboTax will then ask a series of questions so the program can determine if the amount is taxable or not. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KenH1

Received an IRA

It depends on when the distribution was made, not when the check was deposited.  In all likelihood, this was a 2017 distribution and would be reported next year.

If this was a 2016 distribution and you're just getting the check now, contact your employer's payroll or tax department to get a 2016 1099-R form, which should be reported on your taxes.  Then do this:

In TurboTax, enter your 1099-R just as it is issued.  When back at the summary screen, TurboTax will then ask a series of questions so the program can determine if the amount is taxable or not. 

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.49m
Members

2.62m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v