turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter a clergy housing allowance when no 1099 or W-2 is issued?

I am a part time pastor who earns a small housing allowance designated as such by the church that does not even cover my housing expenses.  Since there is no other salary, the church is not required to issue a W-2 or a 1099.

How is this entered into TurboTax online so that it is subject to the self-employment taxes but not subject to income tax?  Previously my CPA reported it on schedule SE, and then has a statement section which is adapted from IRS publication 517 that shows it was all used for housing. 

Any help entering this without a 1099 or W-2 would be appreciated.  Accountants we have spoken with have confirmed we do not need a W-2 or 1099.  I was hoping to save money this year and file using TurboTax, but I am thinking we may have to go back to an accountant. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

You will need to use the self-employed version if filing with turbotax online.  Create your "small business" using occupation code 813000 -- this is a code for religious workers and will trigger questions about your housing allowance, qualified expenses, and self-employment tax.  You may not have any 1099-MISC for income, but you may have other cash income such as from weddings and funerals that you would add here.

Note that because all your compensation is a tax-free housing allowance, you can't deduct work-related expenses such as supplies or mileage, due to the Deason rule.

If filing with Turbotax installed on your own computer, you can use the Deluxe version instead of Home & Business, but you still need to create a schedule C business with code 813000.

Hi I have a similar problem. I do have a schedule C for my clergy housing income using code 81300, but I do not seem to be able to trigger the housing question. I have entered my housing a an override in the SE worksheet but this disables efiling in home and business 2020. I would much rather efile if possible.

Do you know what steps I need to take in order to trigger the housing questions in TT (Windows) 2020? I also do not have this income reported on a W2 or 1099R so ...

@bigteks2 wrote:

Hi I have a similar problem. I do have a schedule C for my clergy housing income using code 81300, but I do not seem to be able to trigger the housing question. I have entered my housing a an override in the SE worksheet but this disables efiling in home and business 2020. I would much rather efile if possible.

Do you know what steps I need to take in order to trigger the housing questions in TT (Windows) 2020? I also do not have this income reported on a W2 or 1099R so ...

I don't know how you got to the place you are.  You may need to start over from scratch, or at least delete your schedule C and everything attached, and start over with that part. 

When you create the job with code 813000, you should be asked right away about a housing allowance.  If you don't also have taxable income, you can't deduct work-related expenses due to the Deason rule, so you won't have a schedule C, just a schedule SE.  

Also, I don't think a simple manual entry blocks e-filing, just an override.  Once you create the job, you can enter the housing allowance directly on the schedule C worksheet instead of doing an override on schedule SE or the Schedule SE Adjustment Worksheet. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 2.51.53 PM.png

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies