Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can I claim the $3000 Retired Public Safety Officer exclusion? i click yes on the form and didn't get the credit.

I do have a taxable income which is in box 2a, however there is nothing in 5 at all. I pay my health insurance on my own with the monies from my pension through the California exchange. I did get the question  if I am a Police Officer, but as mentioned in your last post the software only allows for entry if the administrator made the payments. The new law allows for the taxpayer to make the payment.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Can I claim the $3000 Retired Public Safety Officer exclusion? i click yes on the form and didn't get the credit.

"the software only allows for entry if the administrator made the payments. " No, I did not say that. If I did, please tell me where and I will correct it.

The updated law allows, as you note, that the payment be made by the pension recipient.

You say that you got the police officer question. How about the one after it, asking if you made a payment to an insurance company? Did you see that one?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for your help Bill.

So that question comes up, but it says, " Did your Pension Administrator Pay for Health Care?

If I answer yes, I can enter the $3000, however it would not be true as they did not.

If i answer , " no money wasn't taken out to pay for health insurance", then it bypasses the credit altogether.

Brian

BillM223
Expert Alumni

You are correct, the screen on the desktop product still says that (I'll check the Online product in a minute). Assume that it reads: "Did you or the pension administrator take money out from the pension...blahblahblah"

That is how you get the $3k deduction/exclusion (sorry, I have to be picky about terminology).

This is how you get TurboTax to give you a correct tax return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks Bill...I am on the online version, so they both say the same. Thanks for your help in working through this. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies