turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jerfield

Why is my total retirement plan income being taxable in 2018 when in 2017 only 60%of it was taxable?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Why is my total retirement plan income being taxable in 2018 when in 2017 only 60%of it was taxable?

The taxable portion of your retirement income is on the Form 1099-R that you received in box 2a.  That amount is entered on a Federal Tax Return Form 1040 on Line 4b.

Look at your tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

jerfield

Sorry, your answer didn't help. The taxable amount was not determined on my 1099R

@jerfield wrote:

Sorry, your answer didn't help. The taxable amount was not determined on my 1099R

If there was no amount entered on the Form1099-R box 2a, then the entire amount would be taxable.  

What is the distribution code entered in box 7?  Is the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box checked?

jerfield

There was no amount indicated in box 2a in all previous years either, but your Turbotax program came up with the taxable amount which was about 60% of the total amount. How did your program compute this taxable amount?

jerfield

Distribution code in box 7 is 7-Normal Distribution

No. the  IRA/SEP box is not checked.

@jerfield wrote:

There was no amount indicated in box 2a in all previous years either, but your Turbotax program came up with the taxable amount which was about 60% of the total amount. How did your program compute this taxable amount?

Please contact TurboTax support for this issue.

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies