Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

While reviewing my 1040 form, line 25c shows federal income tax withheld from "other forms". I cannot figure out where this came from. Please help.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies

While reviewing my 1040 form, line 25c shows federal income tax withheld from "other forms". I cannot figure out where this came from. Please help.

Line 25c includes federal income tax withheld on Form W-2G, K-1, Additional Medicare Tax, Form 1042-S, Form 8805, or Form 8288-A. 

jkeefe
Returning Member

I have a large amount in 25c Other forms.   I understand it's for Forms W-2G,K1 Additional Medicare Tax, Form 1042-S, Form 8805, Form 8288-A.  The only one possible would be Medicare Tax, which I don't know that I have?

Where would this amount come from, and how can I work back to check where the input came from?

Thanks in advance

JulieS
Expert Alumni

The Additional Medicare Tax withholding would come from Form 8959 line 24.

One note of caution, if you accidently entered too much Medicare tax withholding when you entered a W2 form, you might see this entry, but it would be an error. 

I recommend checking all of the W-2 forms entered on your tax return. check box 6 to make sure it matches your copy. 

To review your W2 forms:

1. Select Federal on the left side menu.
  2. Select Wages and Income toward upper left.
  3. Click Edit to the right of Job (W2).
  4. Keep going until you get to the screen, Now let's update the rest.
  5. Check box 6 for accuracy.
  6. Repeat with all of your W2 forms. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jkeefe
Returning Member

I have checked box line 6 and both a and b are accurate.  Also as a retired couple we don't have W2's any longer.  Must be another reason for an amount o 25c?

Thanks in advance

BillM223
Expert Alumni

If you have a TurboTax CD/download product, go into Forms mode and look for a form called "Tax Payments". I believe you will find all the tax payments from whatever source here.

I have the same problem.  1040 line 25c shows a large amount that makes no sense, and I cannot find it on any other form.

We're retired, have only 1099R income.  No W2s, no KI, no additional medicare tax, no form 1042, or 8805, or 8288, or 8959.

Tax payments worksheet shows this amount on line 18a 'other withholding'.  I have reviewed all our withholding, all our 1099s, our medicare and SS accounts online, and the amount in that line is nowhere to be found.  I have gone through every form on our Turbotax return, and the amount is nowhere else to be found either.

So, where is turbotax getting this amount?  I've always used TT and have never seen this line have an amount in it.

Thanks,

Rich L.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

If you are using the online version of TurboTax, you can use the following procedure to see what forms are included in your program. You can then look for the income reporting forms such as 1099-R to find out which ones are in your program so you can then check each of their entries to see if there is any tax withholding reported that you were not aware of:

1. Click on Tax Tools in the left menu bar
  2. Click on Tools
  3. Look under Other Helpful Links and choose Delete a form

This procedure will show you the forms in your program. There may be an income reporting form that you are not aware of.

Thanks.  I'm using the downloaded version of TT, but I can go to 'Forms' and see every form TT has in my return.

I have been through every form, slowly, line by line, and the amount that TT has input to my 1040 line 25c can be found absolutely nowhere.

I'm stumped.  TT has obviously pulled it from somewhere.  I'm in FL, so there's no state withholding.

On the 'Tax Payments' worksheet, the other 1099R withholds are correct, but TT has added a large amount on line 18a 'other withholding' under the 'Federal' column.............that is the amount TT transferred to the 1040 line 25c.

The TT program propagated the amount from somewhere, but I sure can't find it.

So, I decided to try to trick the program and reduced the amount on the 'Tax Payments' worksheet line 18a to 0 to see if it'd trigger an error in the final analysis.  It did not.

So, TT made a mistake initially somehow, and was OK with the additional withholding.  Analysis did not catch it, and analysis didn't show an error when I reduced it to zero.

Can't say my confidence is real high in the program at this point.  I'll go over the return several times before I submit it.

Rich

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The quickest and easiest resolution would be to request a call. See What is the Turbo Tax phone number? and select your CD/ download version. There is another option.  However, I need a diagnostic file which is a copy of your tax return that has all of your personal information removed. You can send one to us by following the  directions below: 

Open your return.

1. Click the Online tab in the black bar across the top of TurboTax and select “Send Tax File to Agent
  2. This will generate a message that a diagnostic copy will be created.  Click on OK and the tax file will be sanitized and transmitted to us.

Please provide the Token Number that was generated in the response.  

@777guy777

Why would your software not link this amount of line 25c to the form 8959 as you indicate in the answer?  Otherwise, I spend time trying to chase down the source in this help forum.

I have a negative value under line 25c and also not sure where it's coming from.

Note this value is also different in my federal return than in my California return. I am filling as registered domestic partnership in community property state.

Could you kindly advise? Could I send a santized version as well. 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, a sanitized version may be the best solution in determining where the other taxes originated from. This  may have been a result from how you recorded the information in your return when you were allocating income, deductions, and taxes in your 8958 form. 

Here are the instructions how to send the sanitized file.

If using online:

1. Click on Tax Tools in the left menu bar
  2. Click on Tools>share my file with agent
  3. press ok and you should get a token number

If using desktop:

At the top menu in the black line at the top of the page go to Online. 

1. From the menu, select Send Tax File to Agent. 
  2. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is. Click Send and then you will get a Token number. 
  3. Reply to this thread with your Token number. 

@nataliacanada 

heybo

I have the same problem, and IRS has requested backup.  I see on form 8959 that TT reported additional tax here, and even made up a spouse that I don't have anywhere else in my filings.  I'm trying to figure out where to go from here.  It seems pretty odd that TT didn't catch this anywhere along the way. 

heybo

I also sent a sanitized copy - my token number is 1142598

Thanks for any assistance you can provide. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies