turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shafii_14

When will I be able to report my COVID-19 qualified disaster disbursement from my retirement account? TurboTax doesn't appear to include it in the current release.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

When will I be able to report my COVID-19 qualified disaster disbursement from my retirement account? TurboTax doesn't appear to include it in the current release.

The IRS will be releasing Form 8915-E to use with the 1099-R. Here is more information:

CARES Act and 1099-R Withdrawal.

The software has not been updated yet because the form has not been finalized by the IRS. Once the software has been updated, you will be prompted through the form with instructions on how to enter the information.

The IRS has not provided a release date for the form at this time. Use this link IRS Form Availability to watch for when the 8915-E form will be available in the software once the IRS completes it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It looks like the IRS released the form today. Do you know when it will be available in the software?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Once the IRS releases a final version, it is incorporated quickly.  Prior to the IRS release, we were told will be e-fileable starting 2/24.

Form 8915-E: Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments, which is used for COVID-related early distributions.

The IRS is updating form 5329’s instructions to make it clear that COVID related exceptions cannot use 5329 and should use the new 8915-E.

zaybre

I noticed the last post here was in February.  I was wondering if there has been an update on when the software will be ready.

The question I am really asking is if I will be able to file with TurboTax by the deadline, given that we were given economic relief money in 2021 for COVID?  If not, I need to know so I can start filing elsewhere. Thanks

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, you will be able to file before the deadline for the COVID qualified disaster disbursement.  

Great news! The IRS created new Form 8915-F to replace Form 8915-E.  This form will be used for anyone who chose to take a distribution from their retirement and spread the taxable amount over three years.

It was recently (approximately 10 days) taken out of draft and finalized.  TurboTax has an available date of March 24, 2022.  Continue to check the availability date by using the link provided.

When entering your 1099-R in TurboTax CD/Download, you’ll be asked Was this withdraw due to Covid-19? On the next screen, it should ask you Did you test positive for the coronavirus in 2020? However, some users are reporting they aren’t being asked that second question.

We’re working to resolve this issue. If you’d like to receive progress status updates, sign up here.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies