turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unemployment

Can I still draw unemployment benefits if I decide to retire while eligible?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Unemployment

That would be a question for your state unemployment insurance agency.  Normally I would say "no", traditional rules for collecting unemployment require that you be actively looking for work and willing to take a job, you don't get unemployment if you don't want to work.  However, the rules during COVID are special, so maybe there is free money for retirees too.  I hope not.  

Unemployment

It's not "free" money.  Anyway, I just learned that I CAN collect unemployment along with SS as long as I go through the normal process.  Sorry I wasn't clear, but I would still be looking for other work.

Unemployment

@rawilley wrote:

It's not "free" money.  Anyway, I just learned that I CAN collect unemployment along with SS as long as I go through the normal process.  Sorry I wasn't clear, but I would still be looking for other work.

In that case, yes.  I was thinking "Retire" in the common sense of not going to work any more.  If you are meaning retire in the sense of "apply for my social security benefit", then yes you can apply for your benefit and still work or look for work.

However, if you apply for your social security benefit before your full retirement age (which will be age 66 or 67, depending on your birth date), and you continue to work, your retirement benefit will be reduced $1 for every $3 you earn.  If you apply for your benefit, and then get a job, you can "suspend" your benefit, which will give you increased credits the longer you work. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies