turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

There is no beneficiary listed on the 1099-Q How do I answer the turbo ttax questions that requires this answer?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
RayW7
Expert Alumni

There is no beneficiary listed on the 1099-Q How do I answer the turbo ttax questions that requires this answer?

List the designated beneficiary as the recipient only if the distribution is made

(a) directly to the designated beneficiary, or

(b) to an eligible educational institution for the benefit of the designated beneficiary.

Otherwise, list the account owner as the recipient of the distribution. Enter the TIN for the applicable recipient. Coverdell ESA. Enter the name and TIN of the designated

I don't think you read the question. There is NO beneficiary listed on the 1099-Q, How do I answer the "required" turbotax question of "Who is the beneficiary listed in the 1099-q?" No matter what I answer it is not correct.

ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

TurboTax is trying to determine who is benefiting from the distribution, as that individual may have a tax liability associated with it. If the beneficiary is your child, then you should enter the form on his or her tax return.

The beneficiary should be listed as the recipient on the form 1099-Q if the funds went to him or her or on their behalf to the school. So, the recipient of the form should be the beneficiary if it is not listed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Still didn't answer the question - How do I "satisfy" TurboTax? There is NO beneficiary listed and TurboTax won't continue without me completing the question. Do I LIE and list a beneficiary even though there is none on the form?

The beneficiary is the person on whom the education savings will be spent.  In most cases, the owner of the 529 or Coverdell is a parent or grandparent and the beneficiary is their child or grandchild.  You put the information for the person whose school expenses were paid with the withdrawal.  It does not matter if the beneficiary is not named on the 1099-Q form, but you do need to name a beneficiary in TurboTax.

IRS Qualified Tuition Plans

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies