Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

There is a potential issue with the calculation of your Taxable Inherited IRA.

I got this after my tax was rejected. I don't even have a taxable inherited IRA. What am I supposed to do now?  Is there a way to check if I've made any mistake in preparation to inadvertently include taxable inherited IRA? I don't want to wait because I have an underpayment penalty. The longer I wait the more interest is accrued.

Let's take a look at your return
Description of error:
What needs to be done:
We are reviewing updates to Taxable Inherited IRA calculations. We expect to have these updates done by March 5th, 2021.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

45 Replies

This sounds like the exact problem I'm having. I got this same error today. I also do not have an inherited IRA, and I do have an underpayment penalty so I don't want to wait until March 5 because the amount I owe will increase each day. 

It's pretty frustrating that we had to wait 3 weeks for the Form 2210 Underpayment penalty issue to be resolved so we could e-file, now we have to wait for this problem as well.

dmertz
Level 15

There is presently a bug in TurboTax that is causing erroneous calculations on Form 8606 Part I if the tax return includes a distribution from an inherited IRA.  From just the information in your e-filing, it's probably not possible to determine if the tax return includes a distribution from an inherited IRA (not all of the information in your tax file is present in the actual e-filing), so I suspect that this rejection will be occurring for anyone whose tax return includes Form 8606 until the bug is fixed. 

The reject message could be more informative.

So it means anyone who's done a backdoor Roth IRA contribution will be affected by this bug?

IGonza
Returning Member

I've got the same problem. Any response from turbotax?

Good grief, turbotax gets worse every year.  I used to really like them, now they're trying my patience. 

My return was rejected with this error.  I don't have an inherited IRA, but I did do backdoor roth.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did a backdoor contribution this year as well and my return got rejected.

When will we know this bug has been fixed and it is safe to submit the return again? Has anyone reached out to TurboTax support?

mgeorgia1

I too just had my tax return rejected just now because of this.  I don't have an inherited IRA.  I did do a backdoor Roth conversion as mentioned here by others.  I also got the March 5 calculation verification message in TurboTax as well.  Hopefully they find the bug and inform us when it's fixed so we can submit our returns.

Just want to chime in that I too got a rejected return with this error from a backdoor roth rather than an inherited IRA. And like most of you I need to get my filing done because I owe and don't want to pay any additional penalty! Grrr. 

ca-blues

same issue here, back door IRA and got rejected. It sucks paid additional for e-file state as well, just to found that "kidding...bugs prevent you e-file"

I do not have an inherited IRA, so I have to assume this is a software bug that Intuit/TurboTax is working on.

Same. My IRA isn't inherited but I did do a backdoor roth. So irritating. Apparently we can't efile again so now will have to file by mail once Turbotax fixes the issue. 

Wait, what's this about not being able to efile now? Turbotax made it look like as soon as they get the forms corrected we can resubmit online. I am NOT interested in filing by mail. 

rrh
Level 3

I've received this same rejection.

I do not have an inherited IRA.

I did not do a backdoor Roth.

I went back thru the process again, confirmed I did not check my IRA as "inherited."  Resubmitted after all the error checking and TT said I was good to go.

Rejected again.  

TT suggested filing a paper return, No!  I've already paid to e-file my State return and it is being rejected as well.

TT clearly doesn't care.  We wait on them finally getting the 2210 done and now we have to wait again as they expect to be done with a review by 3/5/2021!

Does anyone at TT care??? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies