turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bigjulio1

Is the interest on the loan from my 401(k) deductible? We used it for a down payment on our primary residence.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is the interest on the loan from my 401(k) deductible? We used it for a down payment on our primary residence.

No. Interest on a 401k loan is not deductible, no matter what the money was used for.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

No. Interest on a 401k loan is not deductible, no matter what the money was used for.

There are actually situations where the interest on a 401(k) loan would be deductible, but they are very rare.

For example, let's say you were borrowing from your 401(k) to finance the purchase of a rental property -- this interest would be considered deductible if (and only if) the funds you are borrowing from your account are NOT your own elective deferrals. Essentially, you'd have to borrow exclusively from your employer's matching / profit sharing funds and have to prove that they were used for a deductible reason (i.e. a rental property).
TMT
Level 2

How do I prove that I borrowed from ONLY my employer matching, which was actually enough to cover my modest loan?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies