Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bestrera

Where do I report my RMD from TSP in Turbo Tax? It is separate from my pension from OPM.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
HelenaC

Where do I report my RMD from TSP in Turbo Tax? It is separate from my pension from OPM.

The Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) 1099-R, Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing gets reported  in the same section as your pension but it gets reported separately:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4194737

WSG2
Level 1

I entered my TSP RMD as a separate 1099-R entry, but when I fill out my OPM annuity 1099-R entry it asks:  Was this withdrawal an RMD?  TurboTax indicates that  the  "No" response to this question is not common, but I clicked "No" since I had already entered my TSP RMD as coming from a qualifying retirement plan, i.e., federal retirement.  Was this correct?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

If you mark NO, the program will charge you for having not taken the required distributions.You want to mark yes to the RMD box meaning that you took the minimum necessary for that retirement account, regardless of which account it came from.

For example:

Say you have 4 retirement accounts, all have a minimum distribution required. You can take all 4 minimums from one account. You just have to withdraw that total minimum amount from your retirement supply.

@WSG2

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bsbrwb
Returning Member

The point is that there is no RMD associated with a federal civil service pension. So why the question about an RMD? There's a question later on about whether you get regular payments from this pension.  Of course you do, because that's the way the pension works. With the large number of federal retirees filing tax returns, one would expect the entry of the CSA1099R to be a very simple task on TurboTax. It's very confusing to get asked to come up with numbers to fill in something from years back, when you can't imagine why any more information is needed. I believe that is what happens when you answer that you receive regular payments. I just changed my selection to "No, I don't get regular payments." Maybe it has something to do with the  two different ways to compute the taxable amount. Could someone address this. 

dmertz
Level 15

By law, the distributions from the federal civil service pension, like any qualified pension, are required distributions, calculated to meet the required minimums, so they meet the legal definition of an RMD.  Since none of the information in the numbered boxes of Form 1099-R identifies the distribution as being from a pension, TurboTax always asks the RMD questions for someone age 70½ or over (age 72 beginning with the 2020 tax year).  These are RMDs even though they are not typically referred to as such outside of determining whether or not the distributions are eligible for rollover, and determining whether or not the distributions are eligible for rollover is the reason that TurboTax asks the RMD questions.  TurboTax blocks reporting as rolled over any amount that is not eligible for rollover because it is a required distribution.

No numbers from years back have anything to do with the RMD questions.  The numbers from years back are only asked if you choose to use the Simplified Method to determine the taxable amount of a distribution when the taxable amount in box 2a of Form 1099-R is incorrect or undetermined, and only if you made after-tax contributions to the pension that have not yet been fully recovered such that a portion of the distribution is indeed nontaxable.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies