Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hog9050

I am a Retired Federal Employee. Do I check Qualified government employee or pension when asked Where This Distribution is From?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I am a Retired Federal Employee. Do I check Qualified government employee or pension when asked Where This Distribution is From?

The IRS says

"The CSRS (Civil Service Retirement System), FERS (Federal Employees Retirement System), and TSP (Thrift Savings Plans) annuities are considered qualified retirement plans.  You can find information about computing the taxable portion of your annuity by going to IRS Publication 721 (Tax Guide to U.S. Civil Service Retirement Benefits) on the Internal Revenue Service website." 

From (https://www.opm.gov/faqs/QA.aspx?fid=735eda40-61a8-45df-b6ad-47185f4c91a5&pid=dcdd4c76-cea6-4e81-89e...)

I am a Postal Service retiree, And I had a problem with my Pension RMD, no with my retirement account, The Law was clear, but Pension was something else. Everybody was in the La La La Land. Finally I called the  USOPM and they searched my account and solved the problem. My advice is do not waste time with the branches and go straight to the tree. Patience and GOOD LUCK !

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies