turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kpen425

Social security benefits has no payer ID number on my 1099-R, and I'm unable to complete my refund without payer ID

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
HelenaC

Social security benefits has no payer ID number on my 1099-R, and I'm unable to complete my refund without payer ID

Social Security Benefits are reported on Form SSA-1099 and don't require a payer ID or Employer Identification Number. You may be in the wrong section of TurboTax.

Any SSA-1099 form, regardless of the suffix, gets entered the same way:

1. Open your tax return in TurboTax online.
    (To do this, sign in to TurboTax, see your Tax Timeline, and click ‘Take me to my return.’)
  2. Using the Search feature in the upper right corner of the screen, enter SSA-1099 and perform the search. Then click on Jump to SSA-1099, which is the first item in the search results.
  3. Select Yes, let's work on Social Security benefits and click Continue.
  4. Check the first box, Form SSA-1099.
  5. Enter the amounts for yourself and your jointly-filing spouse, if they received an SSA-1099 also.
    • SSA-1099s for children and other dependents are not reported on your return. They should report it on their own return, but only if they're required to file a return for some other reason (this is uncommon).
  6. Click Continue

TurboTax will automatically calculate what portion, if any, of your Social Security benefits are taxable.

Hoowename
Returning Member

What is ssa /s     P ayor ##                                                                 ayr 3

fatsyjr83

You are asking for a social security payers ID, and there is none this is preventing me from completing my efiling of my federal taxes

@fatsyjr83 You are trying to enter your Social Security SSA1099 in the wrong place.   There is not a payer ID to enter for your SSA1099 when you enter it in the correct spot.

Go to Federal> Wages & Income>>Retirement Plans and Social Security  (SSA1099 and 1099RRB) to enter your SSA1099.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Helmut414

What do I do in order to Efile?

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

If you are having an issue entering your Social Security benefits because there is not a payer ID, then you are not entering the information in the right place.  Once everything is entered in the correct section, there should be no problem with e-filing your return.

Use the following steps to enter your Social Security benefits:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “social security income” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to social security income
  • Click on the blue “Jump to social security income” link and enter your information

@Helmut414

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies