turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Roth IRA conversion

Here's my situation:

In May 2018, I contributed $1000.00 to my Roth IRA, in April 2019 I contributed $5500.00, total of $6500.00 for 2018 tax year.
While working on my taxes for 2018 I found out that I was over the income limit for Roth IRA and so I asked my broker Charles Schwab to recharacterize this $6500 contribution and associated earnings/losses Schwab transferred approximately $6000.00 to my brokerage account due to $500.00 loss.
I had already entered $6500.00 contribution for my Roth IRA, I entered $6000.00 for recharacterization. I noticed Turbo Tax is keeping $30.00 penalty ($500 * 6% = $30.00)I am concerned that this $30.00 penalty will continue for future years; I don't know how to enter the fact that I lost $500 while $6500.00 was in my Roth IRA account.
Please help so I can correct this minor problem and file my tax return for 2018.
Thank you very much.
FYI, I'm told the 1099-R for this recharacterization is not going to be produced until next year (2020).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Roth IRA conversion

"I entered $6000.00 for recharacterization."

You recharacterized $6,500, not $6,000.  $6,000 was the loss-adjusted amount transferred, not the amount recharacterized.

(Also, your question is titled "Roth IRA conversion" but the question itself makes no reference to a Roth conversion.)

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

Roth IRA conversion

"I entered $6000.00 for recharacterization."

You recharacterized $6,500, not $6,000.  $6,000 was the loss-adjusted amount transferred, not the amount recharacterized.

(Also, your question is titled "Roth IRA conversion" but the question itself makes no reference to a Roth conversion.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies