Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jeanavarc

rollover

is buying an annuity using retirement distribution funds considered a rollover?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

rollover

It depends. A rollover is the transfer of money from one retirement plan to another. You have 60 days to deposit the funds into your new qualified account without penalty. Otherwise, it'll be treated as income. 

If completed properly, an annuity rollover is not a taxable event since the money remains within a designated retirement plan.

rollover

Is it a qualified annuity (such as an IRA), or a non-qualified one?

rollover

I got a 1099-R for an annuity rollover into another annuity.  I did not touch any money from it, just rolled it into another account.  How do I get the 1099-R changed, or can I just not enter it on my return?  

rollover

You must still enter it in Federal > Wages and Income > Retirement.  But then there will be a question that asks if you did a rollover.

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

rollover

An annuity can be qualified (inside a retirement account) or a non-qualified annuity that is not in a retirement account.  You can move money from one non-qualified annuity to another non-qualified annuity in a 1035 Exchange that is not a taxable event.  If you do no do it properly, it will be a taxable event.  You can also liquidate an annuity within a qualified account and put the money in another annuity within the same qualified account, and that is not a taxable event, as the funds weren't withdrawn from the qualified account.  If you liquidate an annuity inside a qualified account, withdraw the funds, and roll those funds over to another qualified account (whether you reinvest in another annuity or not) within 60 days, it is a tax free rollover.  You would receive  a 1099-R for the distribution.  

After you enter(ed) the 1099-R, there is a page that asks "What Did You Do With The Money From [Retirement Plan]"? See Screen Shot below.

Be sure you indicate first that you "...moved the money to another retirement account (or returned it to the same retirement account)."  and the you "rolled over all of this money to another IRA or other retirement account (or returned it to the same account)."

What Did You Do With The Money?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

rollover

I can't for the life of me seem to find that screen shot that you put in your response.  What am I doing wrong?  Regret being a pain in the butt!

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

rollover

The screen that DavidD66 references should appear a few screens (3-4) after the 1099R entry screen (depending on your information). 

The screens you see depend on what codes are entered in Box 7 of your 1099-R.  Please reply in this thread with the code(s) you have listed in Box 7.  

@Ern123

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies