Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

What/how do I report a removal of excess Roth IRA contribution made in 2018?

There are two things you can do. The first, and unfortunately, the best choice, is to amend the return as this will allow you to state the exact reason for the amendment and therefore the payment will get applied correctly to the "reason code" that it should get applied to. Some in past have just sent in (mailed CM/RRR) a copy of the incorrect return with a letter and a check (with SS# and short detail in memo field) and they have "squeaked by" unscathed, so to speak. However, given all the issues and troubles/confusion the IRS is having with 2019 and 2020 she's better off filing the amended return - in my professional opinion.

momak73
Returning Member

I have a somewhat similar situation. I opened a new Roth IRA in March 2020 and funded it $12000 for 2019/2020. I had no earned income in either year as I'm disabled, so my contributions are illegal. I withdrew all the money from the Roth a few weeks ago and Fidelity is sending me a letter, but won't send a 1099-R until Jan 2022. 

I understand the instructions for creating a substitute 1099-R for this filing, but I'm horribly confused as to what to do in the "Deductions and Credits" section as well as the "Other Tax Situations" on my return in regards to my situation. The instructions in the Turbo Tax help window "Withdraw the Excess Contribution from your Roth IRA" are incomplete and even has errors. 

Do I even need to enter anything in these other sections?

I'm also told from Fidelity, since I put the wrongful funds all in during 2020, the withdraw reporting should all be done for the year 2020, even though the money was earmarked for 2019 and 2020?

Help and Thanks

You can remove the ROTH IRA contributions on your 2020 tax return.  Since ROTH is purchased with post-tax money, there will be no effect on your 2020 taxes.  You do not need a substitute 1099-R.  

Follow these steps:

• Federal
  • Deductions and Credits
  • Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions
  • Click the ROTH IRA box under your name
  • Fill in the screens
  • Enter the amount of your contributions
  • Enter the Excess Contributions
  • Enter value of Roth IRA (should be zero)
  • If it says you have a penalty, then enter the amount of the withdrawal again

In 2022, you will also enter the 1099-R for this plan.

IRS Roth IRA

@momak73

I needed to get a removal of excess contribution to my roth for TY 2020.  The removal was taken care of in April, 2021. TD Ameritrade performed this for me, and withheld federal and state taxes for the income.  TD told me they won't send me any 1099-Rs until 2021, so I have no documentation to show I have had taxes withheld.   How do I enter the withholding with turbotax?

Thanks!

dmertz
Level 15

The tax withholding will be credited on your 2021 tax return even though the income is taxable on your 2020 tax return.  That's why it makes sense to decline tax withholding on such a return of contribution.

You'll need to enter the code JP 2021 Form 1099-R into both 2020 and 2021 TurboTax.

Thanks for the super fast reply.  

I wasn't given a choice to decline the tax w/h.  Since I don't have the 1099-R, I should create a substitute 1099-R to indicate withholding and use the code JP 2021?  I don't get why I'll have to do this on 2021 Turbotax as well (and not just 2020).

I really appreciate the help!

@Bakes wrote:

Thanks for the super fast reply.  

I wasn't given a choice to decline the tax w/h.  Since I don't have the 1099-R, I should create a substitute 1099-R to indicate withholding and use the code JP 2021?  I don't get why I'll have to do this on 2021 Turbotax as well (and not just 2020).

I really appreciate the help!

You also report it in 2021 to get credit for the tax withheld.   Because the tax was withheld in 2021 it can only be applied to 2021.

Returned contributions are taxed in  the year that the contribution was *for*,  Tax withheld is credited in the year that th tax was withheld.

Also you do not use a substitute 1099-R, just a real 1099-R being filed early (you do not have a real 1099-R that is defective to substitute for).

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

thanks!  I love the feedback I'm getting, but sometimes, it leads to more questions.

my scenario...   

• I am over 60 years old
  • I made excess contribution in 8/2020
  • I removed excess in 3/2021 (withholding taxes), and put that money in a brokerage account (not an IRA)
  • I did not get a 1099-R

when making up the 1099-R form, I'm confused with the codes. 

Since I'm old, I don't think J applies.   I don't see any choice referring to 2020 contribution and removed in 2021.   

And while I'm at it...  Is this considered re-characterized since I  didn't put the excess amount into a regular IRA?

Thanks!

@dmertz 

@Bakes wrote:
  •  

when making up the 1099-R form, I'm confused with the codes. 

Since I'm old, I don't think J applies.   I don't see any choice referring to 2020 contribution and removed in 2021.   

And while I'm at it...  Is this considered re-characterized since I  didn't put the excess amount into a regular IRA?

It is NOT a recharactorization.  A recharactorization is having it moved to a Traditional IRA and treating it as if it was a Tradional IRA contribution and not a Roth contribution.

Code J (along with code P) is required to identify it as a Roth IRA (a code P by itself would be a 401(k) excess).

The early distribution penalty with a code J is handled as in bold below:

*IF* you requested a return of contributions due to an excess contribution and the excess was removed before the extended due date of the 2020 tax return and the earnings were also returned and you know that the IRA custodian will report this as a return of contribution and not as a normal Roth distribution but as a return of contribution with a code "JP" in box 7 - then:

You can just report it now and ignore the 1099-R when it comes unless there is Box 4 Federal Tax withholding and/or box 14 State withholding. Then you must also enter the 2021 1099-R into the 2021 tax return since the withholding is reported in the year that the tax was withheld.

The 2021 code JP will not do anything in 2021 but the withholding will be applied to 2021.

You would enter the 1099-R with the total distribution in box 1 (the contribution plus the earnings),

The earnings in box 2a,

Enter code "P" in box 7 (Top) - don t worry that it will say "taxable in 2019 "

Enter code "J" in box 7 (Bottom).

On the "Which year" screen say that this is a 2021 1099-R. - That makes it taxable in 2020 and not 2019

After the 1099-R summary screen press continue.

If you are over 59 1/2 then on the "Lets see if we can lower your tax bill" enter the box 2a amount in the "Another Reason" box to eliminate the 10% early withdrawal penalty on the earnings.

Enter the explanation for the excess contribution and that you are reporting a 2021 1099-R on your 2020 tax return to avoid having to amend in 2021.

The box 2a earnings will be taxable income reported on line 4b on the 1040 form and if under age 59 1/2 will also be subject to a 10% penalty on a 5329 form that will be reported on line 59 on the 1040 Schedule 4 form.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

thanks so much to this great forum! 

I have another question.   When I'm creating my 'fake' 1099-R for my excess contribution mess, I am wondering how to fill out the state withholding piece.  

What number goes into the 'state distribution amount'?  The total distribution(from box 1)?  Or just the earnings (2a).

Thanks!

@Bakes wrote:

I have another question.   When I'm creating my 'fake' 1099-R for my excess contribution mess, I am wondering how to fill out the state withholding piece.  

What number goes into the 'state distribution amount'?  The total distribution(from box 1)?  Or just the earnings (2a).

Thanks!

Nothing.   Leave all those boxes blank.

What do you mean 'all those boxes'?  I had the broker pay federal and state taxes on the earnings.  They required me to do that.  Don't I want to indicate this?  

box 4 for federal paid

and further down in the state area?

@Bakes wrote:

What do you mean 'all those boxes'?  I had the broker pay federal and state taxes on the earnings.  They required me to do that.  Don't I want to indicate this?  

box 4 for federal paid

and further down in the state area?

See my answer above.

It makes no sense to have tax withheld on a return of a prior years return of contribution because it is taxable in the year the contribution was *for*, but any tax withheld can only apply to the year that the withholding was done  (2021).      When you receive the "real" 1099-R next year you must also enter that on your 2021 tax return to get credit for the tax withheld.

The 2021 code P entered in 2020 will ignore any tax withholding,  entered in 2021 it will ignore everything except any tax withholding.

Hi,

I have similar question.

- I contributed $6000 to my Roth IRA for 2019.

- I withdrew $6000 (it was less amount since I had loss on it) BEFORE the tax due date in 2020.

- I didn’t report the contribution and withdrawal in my 2019 tax return.

- In 2020 I received 1099R from the financial institution which I  reported in my 2020 return.

- when filing 2020 returns it says you may have to amend your 2019 tax return.

What do I do now? I’d really appreciate any help and guidance on this

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies