Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

recharacterization and did not received 1099-R

Hi,

my Employer do not have 401K plan so I was investing in the Roth IRA and while filing tax TurboTax suggested me to do recharacterization to convert Roth IRA for 2020 to traditional IRA to save tax.

I did that in 2021 for 2020 and after that I haven't received any 1099-R from the vanguard. they said you will get it next year.

my question is that how I can file tax for 2020?

Can i save tax for 2020 ?

thanks  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Possibly you can still save money on your 2020 taxes. There are restrictions on how much can be contributed every year. Since a contribution was already made, be careful this contribution is considered in any added contributions for 2020 or 2021. 

Form 1099-R is for distributions from your retirement plan. Your contributions are entered in a different section.

Enter your contributions by following these steps:

• In TurboTax, enter IRA Contributions in the search box and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  • Answer the questions that follow regarding recharacterization and contributions. 

Roth IRA contributions are not deductible.

Traditional IRA contributions are deductible if you qualify. See How much of my Traditional IRA contribution is deductible? for more information.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Possibly you can still save money on your 2020 taxes. There are restrictions on how much can be contributed every year. Since a contribution was already made, be careful this contribution is considered in any added contributions for 2020 or 2021. 

Form 1099-R is for distributions from your retirement plan. Your contributions are entered in a different section.

Enter your contributions by following these steps:

• In TurboTax, enter IRA Contributions in the search box and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  • Answer the questions that follow regarding recharacterization and contributions. 

Roth IRA contributions are not deductible.

Traditional IRA contributions are deductible if you qualify. See How much of my Traditional IRA contribution is deductible? for more information.

Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you for your response.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies