Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Prior year Roth IRA contributions

I took my first-ever qualified distribution from my Roth IRA in 2019, from an account that has been open for at least 10 years. Turbotax asks me to confirm my net regular contributions prior to 2019 that remain in the account. Should this be contributions only, or contributions plus their investment gains?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

This should be your contribution amount only.  This is also called the basis and nondeductible contributions amounts.  

Withdrawals on earnings from a Roth IRA don't count as income, but only if you make what the IRS deems as qualified distributions. If you follow IRS rules, earnings grow tax-free, and you don't pay taxes on withdrawals either.  For more information, click here: Roth IRA distribution

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

9 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Contributions only.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

This should be your contribution amount only.  This is also called the basis and nondeductible contributions amounts.  

Withdrawals on earnings from a Roth IRA don't count as income, but only if you make what the IRS deems as qualified distributions. If you follow IRS rules, earnings grow tax-free, and you don't pay taxes on withdrawals either.  For more information, click here: Roth IRA distribution

Thanks for the answer. If it's a qualified distribution (I'm over 59 1/2, account open more than 5 years), then I don't understand why Turbotax needs the prior year contributions info.  

DianeC958
Expert Alumni

It is to cover all the bases to make sure that the distribution is not taxable.

@gustus

I took my first RMD from a Roth IRA in 2019.  I opened the Roth in 2001.  Do I need to go back and calculate the total contributions made to this account to confirm my net regular contributions prior to 2019 that remain in my Roth?  Thank you

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Roth IRAs are not subject to Required Minimum Distributions (RMDs).  So no, you don't need to calculate the total contributions to this account.

gwhitten

Sp DavidD66, if I don't need to report my regular contributions begun a long time ago, how do I respond to Turbotax's question to "Roth contributions prior to 2019"  ?????

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Your contributions would only affect your tax if you took premature distributions, so you can enter an estimated amount when asked for your prior contributions. The amount requested will not appear on your tax return.

I totally agree. If I'm over 59-1/2, anything I withdraw is qualified and tax free.  Shouldn't have to do this in this case.  O

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies