Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kndwilley1840
Returning Member

nontaxable Cares Act Roth distribution - what lines of 8915E should it show

my Cares Act nontaxable Roth distribution showing up on line 5 of 8915E not in column 2 of line 3 - is this correct since it is a Roth that is nontaxable. is it still classified as a covid distribution even though declared on line 5.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No. it sounds like you reported this incorrectly in Turbo Tax. If entered correctly:

1. It should show up in the Smart Worksheet that is in the beginning to 8915-E in Box C under Total Distributions and Distributions on 8915-E
  2. It should also appear in Line 3 in columns A & B.
  3. Line 5 should be blank
  4. You might want to go back and review your entries regarding this 1099-R.  Check your distribution Code in Box 7. Should be a J, which indicates this is an early distribution from a Roth IRA.  If any other distribution code is listed, then you may need to get a corrected 1099-R from your trustee of your retirement account.
  5. Also carefully answer the COVID questions in the follow up questions after you review/edit your 1099-R form
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

If editing the 1099-R form does not cause the Roth IRA distribution to be treated as a CRD, delete and reenter the 1099-R being careful to answer the questions as indicated by DaveF1006.

kndwilley1840
Returning Member

Thank you both but the roth withdrawal was not an early distribution. code given was T. I am 67 and have had the roth for over 5 years. Just want to include as covid since it was - so I can repay over 3 years since I lost my job last year and forced to retire.  did try to delete and reenter the roth but did not change 8915E???

[removed by me]

sorry, I retract.

Your amounts go on Lines 15 - 18 in Part III

dmertz
Level 15

Ignore my previous response.  I had assumed that this was the only CRD that you received and that you received this distribution before age 59½.

What you are experiencing is a bug in TurboTax.  TurboTax still has many problems with teh way it prepares Part I of Form 8915-E, one of which is that it mishandles any CRD reported with code T or code Q in box 7 of a Form 1099-R by failing to include the distribution in column (b) of line 3 of Form 8915-E (whether or not any other CRD is present on the form).  Apparently the TurboTax developers thought that there was no reason to treat such a nontaxable distribution as a CRD, but the developers overlooked that the recipient might want to take 3 years to repay the distribution, requiring the distribution to be present in column (b) of line 3.

If you are using the  CD/download version of TurboTax, as a workaround you can enter the amount directly in column (b) of line 3.

If you are using the online version of TurboTax, there is no good workaround.

Perhaps @DaveF1006 can follow up on this with TurboTax Product Quality.

So far I've tried three tax programs including TurboTax Online, for a COVID distribution with part paid back.

all three give different taxable amount on Line 4b.

I don't think TurboTax is correct in my scenario either.

kndwilley1840
Returning Member

Can the tax experts turn over to update department to have this fixed if problem with programs

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies