Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jfmp
Level 2

New W

I have 60k pension and 20k in 403b distributions.  Do I add the 20k 403b under “others pension/annuity” or skip?  My 403b has taxes taken out a

ready.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
jfmp
Level 2

New W

Thanks - was asking about W4P form — I want to fill out correctly .  Should my 403B distribution amount be added under “other pension or annuity “ or skipped?

thanks 

View solution in original post

New W

Thank you for clarifying your question @jfmp.   To allow for you to get the most accurate tax withholding, I would suggest that you add in Step 2 (ii) of the W-4P, the $20,000 amount that you receive as a distribution annually from the 403 (b) plan.    

I would suggest using the W-4 calculator here: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/w4/ estimate what your taxes will be when you file 2023 taxes in 2024.   You just would be entering the pension income from both pensions as well as the withholding from the 403 (b) to date.  This would give you a rough idea of how much taxes should be withheld from the $60K pension distribution.  

All the best,

Marc T. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
marctu
Employee Tax Expert

New W

Thank you for your question jfmp

So both the pension and the 403 (b) distributions are reported on Form 1099-R.  You enter a 1099-R as follows:

1. Scroll down to "Retirement Plans and Social Security" and click "Show more"
  2. Scroll down and click "Start or Edit/Add" next to "IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R)"

The taxes withheld are shown in Box 4 - Shows federal income tax withheld from the distribution, and Box 14 - State tax withheld from the distribution.  

All the best,

Marc T. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rschule1
Expert Alumni

New W

Hi There

You must include the distribution and federal withholding on your tax return. Hopefully your plan provider has issued a 1099-R which identifies all your necessary information which will need to be entered in Retirement distribution section of your tax return. E.G (Gross distribution, Taxable distribution, Federal tax withheld, Etc.)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jfmp
Level 2

New W

Thanks - was asking about W4P form — I want to fill out correctly .  Should my 403B distribution amount be added under “other pension or annuity “ or skipped?

thanks 

New W

Thank you for clarifying your question @jfmp.   To allow for you to get the most accurate tax withholding, I would suggest that you add in Step 2 (ii) of the W-4P, the $20,000 amount that you receive as a distribution annually from the 403 (b) plan.    

I would suggest using the W-4 calculator here: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/w4/ estimate what your taxes will be when you file 2023 taxes in 2024.   You just would be entering the pension income from both pensions as well as the withholding from the 403 (b) to date.  This would give you a rough idea of how much taxes should be withheld from the $60K pension distribution.  

All the best,

Marc T. 

jfmp
Level 2

New W

The tax estimator and response was helpful.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies