turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife and I are both over 70. Can we open a new IRA and contribute 7,000 each to lower our tax bill?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

My wife and I are both over 70. Can we open a new IRA and contribute 7,000 each to lower our tax bill?

• You stated you're not covered by a retirement plan at work.
  • Your AGI will not trigger a limit. There is no limit if work doesn't have a retirement account.
  • For 2020 and later, there is no age limit on making regular contributions to traditional or Roth IRAs.
  • However,  in 2019, if you were 70 ½ or older, you couldn't make a regular contribution to a traditional IRA. However, you could have contributed to a Roth IRA and made rollover contributions to a Roth or traditional IRA regardless of your age.
  • You must have earned income.  "Earned income" for IRA purposes includes wages, salaries, commissions, self-employment income, alimony, maintenance, and tax-exempt combat pay. If you have income from other sources, such as rental property income or pension income, you can't contribute those funds to an IRA.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Are you still working and earning income?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Yes, but you must have that much in earned income to contribute. For 2020 and later, there is no age limit on making regular contributions to traditional or Roth IRAs.

Our AGI is about 120,000, not participating in a corporate 401(k), but I thought I had read that a NEW ira had to be from a rollover, not a new contribution..  Did I read that incorrectly?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

• You stated you're not covered by a retirement plan at work.
  • Your AGI will not trigger a limit. There is no limit if work doesn't have a retirement account.
  • For 2020 and later, there is no age limit on making regular contributions to traditional or Roth IRAs.
  • However,  in 2019, if you were 70 ½ or older, you couldn't make a regular contribution to a traditional IRA. However, you could have contributed to a Roth IRA and made rollover contributions to a Roth or traditional IRA regardless of your age.
  • You must have earned income.  "Earned income" for IRA purposes includes wages, salaries, commissions, self-employment income, alimony, maintenance, and tax-exempt combat pay. If you have income from other sources, such as rental property income or pension income, you can't contribute those funds to an IRA.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies