Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Form 1099R Box 2a is blank. but Box 2b (taxable amount not determined) is checked. How do I know how much in box 1 is taxable?

Dawn,

Thank you!

This is a Roth I put contributions into of over 50K   I have cost basis with an actual loss at my brokerage. Im 54  this is not an exception or an Early Distribution...I want to make sure this is not taxed or penalized 

It is coded as J on the form from the provider i think that is incorrect    i do not want to be penalized 

Form 1099R Box 2a is blank. but Box 2b (taxable amount not determined) is checked. How do I know how much in box 1 is taxable?

The issue here is that the distribution is coded with the letter J which indicates that it is an early distribution. As such, early distributions would mean that you withdraw the money before holding onto it for 5 years and as such such you would be taxed on the distribution. From what you are saying, this was "not" an early distribution. You may want to contact your provider and find out exactly what the issue is. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
napjr8
Returning Member

I received a 1099R with code J checked but I rollovered this roth ira to an annuity, what should i do?

napjr8
Returning Member

what are the exceptions. I know it is not taxable because i made a 1035 exchange of the amount into an annuity.

dmertz
Level 15

A Form 1099-R with code J in box 7 has nothing to do with a 1035 exchange.  A 1035 exchange involves an exchange between nonqualified annuities.  A Roth IRA is not a nonqualified account whether invested in an annuity or not.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies