turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS allows SEP deduction when W2 says retirement plan. But can't so this in TurboTax!

Hi,

Thanks for looking at my question!

I've had a self-directed SEP-IRA, and Individual 401k, as well as my regular qualified plans. I am a consultant who works as a 1099 or at companies without retirement plans. 

My tax accountant friends say that the IRS will still allow deductions if a have a W2 stating "retirement plan". I joined a consulting company in Sept 2019 and they now let me contribute to a 401k.

Using TurboTax, I expected there was a way to say "contribute to SEP/indiv 401k with retirement plan at new company" or something. But it won't allow that. It says IRS rules won't allow any SEP deductions even if I joint a retirement plan company on Dec 30th.

I had to file an extension, and deposit into my SEP account anyway, in case I missed the filing window.

Please clarify.

Thanks,

L

P.S. I used to use Self-Employed version last year, but I was looking at the Deluxe version when it said I couldn't do it. Will Self-Employed make it work?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

IRS allows SEP deduction when W2 says retirement plan. But can't so this in TurboTax!

It sounds like you may be entering your SEP contribution in the section in TurboTax for Traditional IRAs OR that you haven't yet entered your income and expenses for TurboTax to determine the allowable amount of a SEP contribution.

SEP-IRA contributions are entered in TurboTax after the net profit for the self-employment income is entered in the section "Other Business Situations" (online) or Less Common Business Situations (desktop/installed) and then "Self-employed Retirement." 

Please note that by filing your extension, you also extended the time to make this contribution.  Therefore, if you determine that a larger contribution would be beneficial you have until October 15, 2020 to make it.  You can even file the return with the contribution amount you expect to make by October 15, 2020 to get in motion a refund (if applicable) and use the refund to fund the contribution. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So then I need a different version online than the Deluxe? The "Self Employed" version?

Tnx,

L

Yes you need the Online Self Employed version or any of the Desktop CD/Download programs.  All the Desktop programs have the same forms. You just get more help and guidance in the higher versions. 

Hi,

Thanks for your help!

I'm on the self-employed version now. 

I can't find where to put it. 

I see others mention "Other Business Situations" but there's no way to get there. Is that different in the current version?

Or do I need to start over somehow because the upgrade to Self-Employed didn't work somehow...althought it does say "Self Employed" at the top of my left panel.

Thanks,

L

@agent46575 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your help!

I see others mention "Other Business Situations" but there's no way to get there. Is that different in the current version?

Or do I need to start over somehow because the upgrade to Self-Employed didn't work somehow...althought it does say "Self Employed" at the top of my left panel.

Thanks,

L

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the program screen. Click on Tools. Click on Topic Search. Type in self-employed retirement. With the key words highlighted, click on GO.

@agent46575 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your help!

Thanks,

L

Do you have a schedule C in your tax return for self-employment income?  That's where you also enter the SEP IRA.  In the Deluxe Online version, you could create a schedule C for taxable self-employment income but you would not have been allowed to deduct work-related expenses without upgrading.  If you had a 1099-MISC and you entered it as "other income" instead, you need to delete that and build your self-employed business in Turbotax (name, activities, all your gross income, expenses, etc.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies